Friday, September 26, 2008

Every time I succumb...


I try not to waste my time reading those corporate-owned rags they like to call "news"papers but I was waiting for someone in a foyer yesterday and happened to flick through the Herald.

The tragic stabbing of Austin Hemmings was on the front page and it was terrible to see that a man doing a good turn had been killed for his kindness. What I failed to see was why the Herald had to state that the woman he came to the aid of was of "Pacific Island" descent. Like much of New Zealand mainstream news, how was that in any way relevant to the story???

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

agreed, the NZ Herald have been a disgrace over this, I tried to read a story about it yesterday on their website and it was all about the woman ( bubbly and friendly ) and very little about the guy that was killed. WTF?

Hayley J. said...

i have had beef for years over shit like this, the Herald does it, and both tv1 and 3news do it...
they haven't said 'boo' over the fact that the 2 cop killers in otahuhu were palangi though... would bet my life savings they would have said something if they were anything but...
argh... thank god for The Mental Detox...